Wednesday, August 24, 2011

All shook up, first day, and Irene

So yesterday I experienced an earthquake for the first time in my life. It was only 15 seconds but a scary 15 seconds. There was no damage in my area, but some of my friends in the Fredericksberg, VA area had minor damage (Knicks knacks & pictures). There was enough damage to close some schools in that area on opening day.

So tomorrow is the first day of school for us in NC. I am returning to teaching Language Arts and Social Studies after spending 3 years teaching Saxon Math. Our school is also implementing the new common core standards which seems to be a nationwide movement. I have a lot of work to do over the next few weeks which means less knitting time. :(

Finally, after the stress of getting my classroom set up, returning to teaching a subject I haven't taught in a few years, and a minor earthquake, we are also preparing for a hurricane.
Irene is scheduled to make landfall late Friday-early Saturday. School systems are already closing on the Carolina Coast. Wow! I think I am ready for Labor Day/long weekend and the kids are not back yet.

While we wait out the storm this weekend, I will post some pics of my latest knitting. (Lord willing, the creek don't rise, and the power stays on.) I finished my first Westknits pattern, a cowl, and a few more objects of late. Check back soon!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rusty
    Hope you and your family did well during the storm. We only lost power and just got it back about 30 min ago. Went to the Craft Stop and saw the lovely yellow scarf. I figured you'd knitted it. You will be happy to know that your most challenged knitting student has now mastered the four basics! I'd misplaced my discloth pattern sheet but was happy to find it here on your site. Can't wait to get started on it. I even found the same colored yarn! Will send a pic when it's finished!

    ReplyDelete