Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Another Alpaca Farm and a Finished Project

My son Avery explaining that he is going to be it and try to tag them.
I think I had written about our visit last summer to 3 Hawk Alpacas here in Murfreesboro.   The owner, Anita, was very kind and we toured, talked, and petted for over an hour.  This past Friday, Anita had her herd shorn for the the season.  I had planned on visiting to see the shearing first hand, but with having missed work for my grandmother's funeral and a workshop, I could not justify taking another day off.  I was disappointed but, what could I do?  Several weeks ago my pastor's wife gave me a brochure for another Alpaca Farm in St. John, NC (About 15 minutes from my house).  I emailed the owner of the farm and arranged a visit with my family for Sunday.  The animals were beautiful, soft, and well kept.  The yarn from last year's shearing was some of the most beautiful I had ever seen and touched. 

Can you please open this gate?
The most exciting part about this visit is that the alpacas here are to be shorn on April 9th and I will be assisting in the shearing.  I can't wait.  My wife and I are also purchasing a "share" in this years yarn.  We will get 2 pair of alpaca socks, and six skeins/hanks of fiber!  I am so excited.  I can't wait for April 9th!


The Alpaca Mafia, Whattaya lookin at?
"Wool Leaves" Baby Afghan
The next pics are of my first lace afghan.  It is Jared Flood's pattern "Wool Leaves."  I enjoyed the pattern as it was quite easy to follow and I can't wait to give it to our Dance teacher at school.  She is due to have a son in the next few weeks.  This blanket is quite thick, but will serve as a good car seat cover or receiving blanket in the late fall.  I will try to blog again this weekend after my first beginning knitting class.  Wish me luck!  So far I have three confirmed students.  I am happy to be sharing my love of knitting with others.  Hopefully they will carry on the tradition.
Close up of stitches

1 comment:

  1. I want an alpaca farm! Really, I can't wait for the local animal park to open so I can go pet the llamas and alpacas and sheep and bunnies. Not the camel, he scares me.

    ReplyDelete