Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Spinning Out of Control

Last August, the day before teachers went back to school,  I bought a spinning wheel for myself.  I had wanted one for quite a while, done some research, and used my birthday money to get a steal of a deal on a Majacraft Saxonie.  I was so excited to start using the wheel, then school started...This has been a particularly stressful year for me as a teacher.  Between implementing the new Common Core curriculum,  learning to do DIBELS reading assessments, a new math assessment, and taking care of my own family there has not been a great deal of time for knitting or spinning for myself.  As the school year is winding down,  I am trying to find time to do some of the things I really enjoy.  A couple of weeks ago, I ordered some new tension springs for the wheel and installed one as soon as they arrived.  (BTW  The Woolery is a great place to order your fiber supplies.  Prices are great and the shipping is very fast if the items are in stock.) 

It took a little practice to get used to the new spring, but I got better over Memorial Day weekend. 

Here I am at Twin Lakes Campground with my family and parents.  It was so nice to be sitting outside with beautiful weather, family that I love, and wool that I had been longing to spin for over a year.  It is wool from Tunis sheep, the same kind of sheep that George Washington and Thomas Jefferson raised on their farms.  I am hoping to continue to practice spinning it, dyeing it, and knitting something beautiful from it.  Starting Monday I should have a lot more time to knit, spin, and even do a little crochet.  

No comments:

Post a Comment